MONROVIA: The Government of Liberia (GoL) through the National Steering Committee for the At-Risk Youth Program has started the recruitment and subsequent rehabilitation of scores of At-Risk-Youth, known as ‘Zogos’.
The voluntary recruitment process, which began on August 21, has witnessed 105 at-risk youths being documented.
According to a release issued under the signature of Deputy Information Minister Jarlawah A. Tonpo, a member of the Technical Working Group for the program, the disadvantaged youth voluntarily came from the Pelham Building on Center Street, and around the Invincible Park Communities in Sinkor.
The release further states that 88 of the 105 registered at-risk youths are males while 17 are females. Of the 88 males, “so far, 38 were taken to ES Grant Memorial Hospital in Duport Road to stay for the period of two weeks for detoxification (cleansing) before rehabilitation,” Tonpo said.
“The other 50 males were sent to Star Base on Bushrod Island for detoxification (cleansing) and rehabilitation.
They will remain there for a period of between three and six months depending on their levels of recovery.
Similarly, the 17 Females have been sent to Mother Rescue Center and will remain at the center for the period of three to six months as well.
At the start of the recruitment, Youth and Sports Minister D. Zeogar Wilson, who is the National Chairman of the Steering Committee said the move is in fulfillment of the government’s commitment to rehabilitate At-Risk Youth from the streets.
Wilson described the start of the At-Risk Youth program as a boost intended to Detoxify (purify) and reunite the young people in society and make them more productive citizens.
It can be recalled that on June 30, 2022, the Government of Liberia in collaboration with One UN system in Liberia launched the At-Risk Youth program intended to address, tackle and take youthful Liberians who are addicted to drugs from the streets.